Tuesday, September 11, 2012

A Day Off...


Such a rarity in this field. Days off don't come frequently, and when they do, girl you better cherish it. Today was only partially a day off. Given the holiday (if you can call it that...seems much too positive for such a sad event), Boston asked us to put all campaign activities on hold and instead, devote ourselves to a service project. UNF decided on a food drive for donations to the USO.


There was only one teenisey-weenisey little problem.

I didn't get this memo til 2pm Monday. The pesky thing about a food drive is people can't really donate if they don't know your drive is happening. Obviously, an email blast at 4pm wasn't super effective. To make a long story short, my solution was this:


Yep. $150 dropped at Walmart in SunnyD and granola bars. When the check out man asked which Army I was feeding with all my purchases, I proudly responded "The United States Army, sir." Grin.

Our boys are coming home a little heavier than they left. I hope they are ok with that.

After all was said and done, the future FLOTUS met us at our Manderin office to help sort our items into individual gift bags. One heck of a woman, that Ann Romney.

We also did a little decorating around the UNF student Union today. We weren't able to pull off the flag display most campuses do, so we opted for deco mesh bows instead (and by we, I mean me. Come on now, I'm the lone girl in an office full of men). For a first attempt, I think they turned out pretty awesome.


It didn't hurt that I had a fabulous team helping me assemble all 30 bows at the office last night (read, a 6 year old and two guys I practically begged to join in). Never a dull moment at the Duval Co. Headquarters.

All in all, I'll call it another good day here in Jax-city (Did I just make that up? I think so). Hearts are certainly heavy, but I'm reminded our Father takes broken things and makes them incredibly beautiful, even if its as simple as a pack of cheese crackers and a bottle of Welches.



0 comments:

Post a Comment