Friday, January 20, 2012

Occupy Gratitude

Let me begin by making one thing absolutely clear: This is in no way, shape or form a political statement of any kind. Don’t try to argue politics with me on this one, because quite frankly, I don’t want to hear it. Rather, see this a call to perspective, to look at our seemingly dismal situations from a global standpoint. This is not a matter of partisanship; its a matter of the condition of the heart.

On my way home from class each day, I take South Limestone all the way to Paris Pike. Its not a terribly long drive, but it is certainly an interesting trip. Over the course of my twenty minute commute, I see just about everything Lexington has to offer. The University of Kentucky is everything a college campus should be; sprawling, inviting, and full of life. Downtown Lexington is no less lively, and though it pales in comparison to major US cities, its size is certainly impressive to a small town girl like me.


As I make my way out of town, I pass through a mile of historic buildings and modern town homes. This is the part of my trip that disturbs me. You see, every day, I drive past a lovely, 3 story brick home in the middle of town. There is nothing about the structure itself that caught my eye, but rather the sign posted conspicuously in the center of the yard. This sign displays the well known slogan of the Occupy Wall Street movement, declaring very plainly, “We are the 99%”.


To be completely honest, driving past this house makes me madder than a cat in a swimming pool. It seems a bit ironic to me that the nicest house on the street is the one publicly protesting income inequality, claiming to be among the least privileged citizens of the country. To add insult to injury, traveling less than a mile down the road brings you to the poorest and most crime infested part of Lexington. Not a single Occupy Wall Street sign is found here, yet these are the Americans who truly represent the most underprivileged citizens in our country.


This area of Lexington doesn’t even begin to compare to other regions of the state. Without a doubt, there are certainly areas of the United States where abject poverty exists, but does the family in this house actually understand what that is like? Have they ever traveled just two hours east to Owsley Co., KY, the poorest county in the nation (as of the 2010 census) with a median income of only $18,869? I can’t help but think if they had, they just might take that sign out of their yard.


But this is not the part that angers me the most; no, it is the thought of our brothers and sisters around the globe who can only dream of living in the “slums” of Lexington. I’ve got a little newsflash for all you Occupiers out there: You may not be in the top 1% of the United States, but I can almost guarantee you are in the top 1% globally. It only takes an annual income of $34,000 to fall into this category. To qualify for the top 10%, one would only need to earn only $12,000 annually.


You read that right. The majority of our Owsley Co. neighbors, the poorest of all Americans, are among the richest 10% of the world.


In the book of Luke, Jesus finishes one of his many parables with this:



Everyone to whom much was given, of him much will be required, and from him to whom they entrusted much, they will demand the more.


Luke 12:48b



Often times, we assume that this verse is referring to monetary blessings, and I certainly believe it is applicable to our finances. I believe financial offerings are one of the highest acts of worship, as they require us to make sacrifices that often hurt. However, I think it is important to look at this verse in a broader context of blessings. Not to offend Joel Osteen or anything, but God never once promised his children financial security. Does that make the poorest among us any less blessed?

At this moment in time, there are 27 million people living in slavery worldwide. That is the highest number of slaves in human history. A girl born in South Africa is more likely to be raped in her lifetime than learn to read. And right now 143,000,000 children are orphan. 143 babies with no one to care for them.


If you live in America, the fact of the matter is you are crazy, crazy blessed. If you can call yourself a child of the Most High God, you have the one thing that is more precious than anything this world could ever offer. You may not make an excess of $350,000 a year, but MUCH has been entrusted to you.


What are you going to do with it?

0 comments:

Post a Comment